Breeding for productivity and breeding for welfare: what is the relationship?
A question that emerged from FCRN's previous discussions with various experts on animal farming was whether breeding for productivity and animal welfare can be aligned.
In this discussion paper, Tara Garnett and colleagues from SLU Sweden consider the productivity-welfare relationship in more detail. They argue that this is a critical issue to understand if we are to improve our knowledge of what more sustainable systems of livestock production and consumption look like.
Download the full discussion paper below.
More like this
- Animal efficiencies, animal welfare: either/or, or both/and? Some Reflections from an Informal Meeting
- Transcript of online debate: Climate change, sustainability and animal welfare: What are the solutions?
- Gut feelings and possible tomorrows: (where) does animal farming fit?
- Dairy cows value access to pasture as highly as fresh feed
- Holistic management – a critical review of Allan Savory’s grazing method