Call for assistance: Help to build our Foodsource video library
Dear FCRN community members,
My name is Despoina Dadarou. I’m a PhD student at Warwick University and my work is in the field of food security. Specifically, I’m studying the role of chromatin remodelling in altering gene expression during plant immune responses.
As part of my BBSRC studentship, I have taken up a three-month placement with the FCRN. During this time, I will be working on expanding and improving the newly launched video library pages of the Foodsource website. (Just to remind you, Foodsource, the FCRN’s sister site, is our open and expanding learning resource for information on sustainable food systems.)
Our aim for the video library pages is that they should serve as the go-to place for accessing good quality, evidence-based talks, videos and animations on various aspects of food systems and sustainability, categorised by topic and to achieve this, we would really value your help.
As you will know, there is a huge number of videos to choose from out there and it can be hard to know which ones are worth watching, or what exactly they are focusing on. We hope that by acting as a ‘gate keeper’ or curator of good quality content, we at the FCRN can save people time and effort in their searches.
At the same time, we are a network, and as such we need and value your assistance in identifying the most useful resources that are available – so we are asking for your input on two points.
First, which categories should we use to structure the video library? Our initial list of suggested topics is as follows:
- General overview of food system challenges
Environmental impacts and issues associated with the food system
- Climate change
- Biodiversity, land use and land use change
- Water use and pollution
- Animal ethics and animal welfare
- Food losses and waste
Social impacts and issues associated with the food system
- Food security, diets and nutrition
- Other human health impacts, e.g. air pollution, infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistance
- Gender dimensions of food systems
- Power dynamics in the food system, including economics, politics, globalisation and food sovereignty
The future of food: potential and proposed solutions
- Food system trends and scenarios: how might the food system change in the future?
- Food system resilience and adaptation: coping with the effects of environmental, social, economic and technological changes on food production, provisioning and food security
- Alternative agricultural systems, networks and approaches such as sustainable intensification, agro-ecology, organic farming, local and alternative food networks climate smart agriculture and novel proteins
- Dietary change
- Urban and regional food systems
- Food policy and governance
Research methods, theories and tools as they apply to food and food systems
- Life cycle assessment
- Practice theory
- Behavioural psychology
- And more…
Do you think these are the right topics? Are there any major omissions? Could they be clustered differently or better? Are some too vague or too narrow?
And second, if you know of good quality (i.e. evidence-based) videos, talks or animations that are publicly available and should be included in our library, do please send them through. From all your suggestions we will go through and select about five for each topic. We will include videos of different lengths so that viewers can choose a video according to how much time they have to spare, varying from short explainer videos of two to three minutes up to lectures of an hour or more.
Each week we will issue a call for videos on one particular topic via the Fodder newsletter, so please watch this space.
To give feedback on our proposed topic list or to suggest videos, please send an email to myself (Despoina) or my colleague Walter. You can also send a message to the FCRN's Google Group, which you can join here.