Donor mapping - Global sustainable food and agriculture: a landscape assessment
This is a new report commissioned by the Global Alliance for the Future of Food in collaboration with the Meridian Institute for use by Global Alliance members.
The Global Alliance is a coalition of foundations that have come together to help shift food and agriculture systems towards greater sustainability, security, and equity. In this report they aim to provide a high level assessment and overview of the philanthropic donor landscape in relation to sustainable food and agriculture systems. The report represents a synthesis of several parallel and complementary efforts:
• The development of 24 donor profiles, based on individual, structured interviews with donors, including members of the Global Alliance as well as those from the broader community of foundations working in this space;
• The identification of critical issues facing sustainable food and agriculture systems, based on a literature scan and an analysis—through the interviews and an online survey—of donor-identified priorities; and
• The development of case studies that illustrate integrative and holistic approaches to addressing many of the identified critical issues and that provide insights into donor roles and experiences in supporting those efforts.
The report provides a good overview of the broader landscape of donors and stakeholders supporting activities related to food system sustainability challenges.
While some of the food system challenges facing humanity are local, in an interconnected world, adopting a global perspective is essential. Many environmental issues, such as climate change, need supranational commitments and action to be addressed effectively. Due to ever increasing global trade flows, prices of commodities are connected through space; a drought in Romania may thus increase the price of wheat in Zimbabwe.
More like this
- Donor Mapping on Climate Change and Agriculture Activities by Meridian Institute
- Swedish Climate Certification for Food
- Online database on Sustainable Intensification in African agriculture.
- Oxfam briefing paper on public–private partnerships in African agriculture
- Special issue on food security in Science: Smart Investments in Sustainable Food Production