Online course: Feeding a hungry planet: Agriculture, nutrition and sustainability
Developed by SDG Academy, this free course explores the challenges to ensuring a healthy and sustainable diet for our growing world population, as well as the central role of agriculture in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
The course modules are:
- The global challenges around food
- Agriculture at the centre of sustainable development
- Food systems for nutritional security and better health
- Sustainable intensification of agricultural systems – Part 1
- Sustainable intensification of agricultural systems – Part 2
- Rural development for poverty alleviation
- Action for change
Learn more and register here. Students can enroll anytime from 16 April until 17 June 2018. After 17 June 2018, the course content will no longer be available. See also the Foodsource building block What is food security?
While some of the food system challenges facing humanity are local, in an interconnected world, adopting a global perspective is essential. Many environmental issues, such as climate change, need supranational commitments and action to be addressed effectively. Due to ever increasing global trade flows, prices of commodities are connected through space; a drought in Romania may thus increase the price of wheat in Zimbabwe.
More like this
- Online course: Environmental justice
- Sustainable intensification in agriculture. Navigating a course through competing food system priorities.
- Advances in food security and sustainability, Vol 3
- World Bank blog-post: Greenhouse gas accounting: A step forward for climate-smart agriculture
- Feeding Britain: food security after Brexit